Buckhorn Mineral Springs received its first grant in 2001 from the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office to do stabilization and preservation work on Cabins 9, 10, 11 & 12, in order to halt further deterioration. It is believed that these cabins were built around 1892. In the 1930’s they were moved from their original location at the North end of Buckhorn’s pasture to their current site next to the garden.
To begin this project, twenty-two juniors and seniors from Ashland’s Wilderness Charter School helped take apart Cabin 9, carefully lifting whole sections of wall out of the way for a new foundation. Under designer/builder Bruce Sargent’s direction his son Russell, Gilad Margalit, Josh Kingsbury, Ciel Alzado and Asa Cate all helped with the restoration. In 2010 and 2011, with assistance from Russell, Tim Sargent, and Michael David Uri, the interior restoration of these cabins was completed. The cabins now host a variety of volunteers, WWOOF-ers (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms), and seasonal workers who are all necessary to help keep Buckhorn going.